Monday, January 16, 2012

Floor is lava

In High School, I had an AP teacher who transferred from teaching elementary school.  She ended up being a much better teacher than I expected, but she wasn't ready for my class.  I don't really understand why she wasn't ready, having taught elementary school, but she was ill prepared for me and my friends.

We were very smart, often times having the best grades in our classes, but we had a problem.  We would revert back to being children due to trigger phrases, or through ecstatic epiphanies that would just seem to take over.

From the get go we didn't like the desk arrangement.  Why should unused desks go unused?  And who better to utilize these unused desks than the best students in the class?  We would unleash super desks!


I don't know why this made her so mad, and I didn't really understand why she didn't expect it every day.

Eventually she just bottled up all of her hatred of our super desks and just accepted that the best students were going to have extra desks.

One day, about five minutes into class, one of my friends noticed something horrifying.  He shouted when he saw that the floor was LAVA!  We immediately jumped on to the desks.  Luckily, we had prepared for this day with super desks.  After calming down after the initial discovery, no-one really cared that we thought the floor was lava.  That was a mistake.  We became so into the idea, that the floor really was lava.  about ten more minutes went on with a spiral of delusion working it's way through us until our desks felt like they were melting. My teacher didn't understand our metaphysical crisis, and became upset.


My friend tried his best to reach the books by leaping desk to desk, but the desk closest to the bookshelf was slightly too far away.



It's at this moment that I realized that I had red on my shoes.  The red would protect me from the lava, as now I had lava shoes.  Everyone watched in awe as I was able to walk on the lava without turning into a flaming glob of pain and ash.  The odd thing was that my teacher was still pissed bc the floor was still lava, but i was the only one able to walk on it.  She assumed that we would have to stop playing the game, but no, the lava would have to slowly cool off until it was safe to walk on again.  Eruptions happened occasionally throughout the year, but my teacher just gave up, and probably lost whatever hope she had left for my generation.






No comments:

Post a Comment